Companies Act 2016: The New Dynamics of Company Law in Malaysia

I have been working hard over the last few months writing my book, ‘Companies Act 2016: The New Dynamics of Company Law in Malaysia‘. The process was tiring but very rewarding. It was a culmination of my 10-over years of experience in company law.

My co-author is Kenneth Foo, an experienced Chartered Company Secretary. In this book, we have combined our experience in company law, company secretarial, compliance and insolvency practice. The book will be officially launched at an event on 24 January 2017. Read below for more information.

companies-act-2016_banner-fb

I would like to thank CLJ Law for agreeing to publish this book. The book launch will be on 24 January 2017 at the KLRCA. Kenneth, myself and a speaker from the Companies Commission of Malaysia will be speaking on all the upcoming areas of the Companies Act 2016.

clj2

clj4

The book ‘Companies Act 2016: The New Dynamics of Company Law in Malaysia’ will be the first comprehensive textbook out on the market. Pre-orders can be made over here.

Here is what the table of contents will look like:

1. Formation and Administration of Companies.
  2. Share and Capital Maintenance.
  3. Directors, Secretary and Auditors.
  4. Accounts and Audit.
  5. Meetings and Resolutions.
  6. Shareholders’ Remedies.
  7. Charges.
  8. Receivership.
  9. Winding Up.
  10. Striking Off the Register.
  11. Schemes of Arrangement.
  12. Corporate Voluntary Arrangement.
  13. Judicial Management.
  14. Investment and Foreign Companies.
  15. Enforcement of the Act.
Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Companies Act 2016: The New Dynamics of Company Law in Malaysia

1. Gita A/P V.N Radhakrishna 28 November 2016 / 9:29 am

Dear Mr. Lee,

I am a lecturer in MMU currently teaching Insolvency Law.

I am interested in ordering 2 copies of the book:

(i) personal copy – which I will be paying for myself

(ii) for the Law library

Could you let me know the price for both categories.

regards,

Gita Radhakrishna

Faculty of Law

Multimedia Univrersity

2. Zaharah Elias 19 January 2017 / 7:07 pm

Hi, Mr. Lee Shih,
    I’m a retired professor of Law, & was teaching Company Law for more than 30 years. I still, however, like to keep abreast of the development of the Law. Looking at the changes that will take place, is it safe to assume that the 2016 Act will replace the 1965 Act?

Zaharah

• Lee Shih 19 January 2017 / 8:05 pm

Hi Zaharah, thanks for dropping by. Yes, the Companies Act 2016 will completely replace the 1965 Act. The basic concepts will be retained. It there will be a complete overhaul of all the sections. All our familiar section numbers will be obsolete. No more sections 64, 144, 145, 181 or 218.

Lee Shih

• Haeme Hashim 27 January 2017 / 11:12 am

Hi Prof Zaharah. I saw your comment here and I think I’d love to guide you to s.620(1) of the Companies Act 2016. The provision has stated that “the Companies Act 1965 is repealed’. Hope this helps too. 🙂

• Zaharah Elias 9 February 2017 / 11:35 pm

Thank you, Haeme.

3. Hui Chin 24 February 2017 / 1:01 pm

HI Mr Lee,

I have attended to your seminar on the 22/11/2016 last year at Concorde Hotel.

I would like to check on the S66 of the Act where by a director must sign on the document.

may i know if this is the only way that can validly execute a document and if so, is there any other way to authorize other to execute the document on behalf.

we have been advised by one of the solicitor that S67 may be able to resolve the problem.

appreciate your kind reply.

thank you.

4. LS.Leonard 25 April 2017 / 10:23 am

Dear, Mr.Lee,
    I am a practitioner and have purchased your book at Joshuas at the Kuala Lumpur High Court. I must say ‘The New Dynamics of Company Law in Malaysia’ is dynamic indeed. Job well done. I will recommend it to my friends.

However, I have a question for you. Your book confirms that we now have an option to have a Constitution (pages 25 to 31). From my reading of the CA2016 it appears that the entire previous Table A provision is now set out in the Act itself and these provisions are alterable via a Company Constitution.

Hence, may I know, from your extensive valuable research:-

(i) Which other jurisdiction has a similar CA2016 model wherein the articles provisions are set out in the Act itself? I know its not UK or Australia, since UK has model articles whereas Australia has a special Table in S.141 setting out what are the replaceable rules.

(ii) What is the reason for deleting the previous Table A and reproducing the Table A provision in the Act (CA2016) itself, without clear demarcation which sections can be altered via a Company Constitution?

Appreciate your learned view.

Thank you.