On Tuesday 7 April 2020, I will be speaking at the Companies Commission of Malaysia seminar on ‘Resolving Boardroom and Shareholders Disputes‘. It is a half day talk from 9am to 1pm and with a registration fee of RM250 or RM300. It is open to members of the public.
I am looking forward to sharing practical insight from the various cases I have worked on. I frequently receive queries from company secretaries, directors and shareholders on certain disputes. I then designed this seminar around these often raised issues.
Some of the areas I will cover include:
Directors: Lessons Learnt from Boardroom Disputes
- Directors’ rights and responsibilities.
- Case studies of common scenarios of disputes among directors and shareholders.
- Deadlock at board level and disagreements.
- Removal or suspension of directors.
Decision-making Process: Division between Directors and Shareholders
- The Federal Court case of Petra Perdana and the lessons learnt.
- The shareholders’ right of management review.
- When shareholders’ approval is required.
Shareholder Remedies: The WMDs
- Winding up on the just and equitable ground when there is a breakdown in relationship.
- Minority oppression relief.
- Derivative action by the aggrieved shareholder.
- Other common legal remedies by shareholders
The Role of Company Secretaries in These Disputes
- Case studies on the important role of company secretaries in such disputes.
- The importance of the Guidelines Relating to Practicing Certificate for Secretaries.
- The duties and responsibilities of company secretaries.