This post is a part of a series based on my Law for Startups workshop at MaGIC in September 2015. It’s a basic introduction to legalities for startup founders. You can access the slides here.
Read the earlier posts for context:
- Law for startups in Malaysia — building on the best foundations.
- The legal landscape in Malaysia for startups — a hybrid of traditional corporate practices and Silicon Valley models.
One of the earliest decisions that a startup or small business founder will have to make is choosing the right business vehicle through which the business/idea will be carried out.
Business vehicle options
The most common business vehicle options in Malaysia are —
- sole proprietorships / partnerships;
- private limited liability companies (Companies / Sdn Bhd); and
- most recently, the limited liability partnership (LLP).